HR GENIUS BLOG
SHARING NEWS, IDEAS, THOUGHTS AND ADVICE AROUND THE WORLD OF HR!
Making a connection over the phone is probably the hardest part of a contact centre agents job, and understanding the customer is never as easy as it sounds.
In the customer centric climate selling is seen as an extension of customer service. the probability that a customer will buy the presented product or will be interested in purchasing the service, rises dramatically if you engage them, and provide a “real life” conversation. Treat your prospects, as you would treat returning customers they will perceive your brand in a different fashion, often opting for you instead of the competition.
It’s your job to ensure that the contact centre staff is enthusiastic, compassionate and knowledgeable about the product or service they are selling, but that’s just the beginning. Contact centre agents need to possess a natural desire to serve the prospects and customers by understanding their particular situation, problems, needs and desires. They need to present the product or service in a way that addresses those issues – it’s vital.
- What is the primary purpose for the call?
- What is the goal?
- What information do I have at my disposal and what did I learn during the call?
- Even if the customer doesn’t seem interested how can I provide him with information that will leave a lasting positive impression?
- Personalize your responses, use the customer’s name – this will show that you’re focusing your attention on their needs
- Ditch heavy scripted calls, customers will spot those from a mile away.
- Never loose control of the conversation.
- Empathy is vital, tune into their feelings and act accordingly.
- Provide the customers with other methods of engaging your company. If your company has a blog, uses social media or has a newsletter “plug” those into the telesales call. It
Even the most experienced representatives, that have been on the job for years, will benefit from those tips.
Keeping your skills honed and understanding what the current customer base needs is essential. Sales tactics change at a rapid pace, this is due customer’s ease of access to information and technology, and you don’t want to play “catch-up” – you need to be ahead of the curve, exceeding your customers expectations.
But in all this, don’t forget that sales, and telesales especially are about consistency and persistence.
Now go, and close that sale!